Skip to main content

Love in Unexpected Places


I was still very hesitant about writing this post due to the delicate subject of those “Harry Potter books” and the last thing I want to do is open up a can of worms. There are still many differing viewpoints on whether Harry Potter books should be banned, burned or maybe…recycled? Or is the church overreacting about this particular series of children’s fictional books? I am not advocating that Christians should or should not read/watch Harry Potter but this is just to share my viewpoint and encounter with Harry Potter books.

The first time anyone actually asked me whether I had any problems with Harry Potter was when I was applying for a job as a facilitator for a children’s development centre. Since they use Harry Potter to make things more interesting in their science experiment classes, they actually asked me if I was comfortable using him in the classes since I told them I was a Christian. That was 2 years ago…and I had to admit, I have never seen or read any Harry Potter books or movies. Being ashamedly ignorant of the said character, I actually don’t have a stand on whether I was okay with it. And since this was a job interview and wanting to get the job….of course I said I had no problems even though eventually I declined their job offer.

Recently my college library obtained the first four books of the HP series, so I thought I might as well just read it and judge for myself or at least have an informed opinion.

I managed to finish the first book, Harry Porter and the Sorcerer/Philosopher’s Stone in one day. (Sorcerer is the Americanized version to appeal to the American market more). It was pretty engrossing book, pretty similar to Enid Blyton books. Although I wouldn’t approve of witch crafting and spell spinning, I was actually touched by one particular passage which spoke to me more or less like an analogy of God’s love for us.

Okay, before I go on, for those who have not read/watch this book/movie, what I’m going to write is going to be an ending spoiler. Therefore you have been warned…

Right after Harry’s encounter with the villain, Quirrell who allowed Voldemort inhabitate his body, Dumbledore, his principal came to visit him. Harry asked Dumbledore why Quirrel’s skin blistered red and raw when he tried to touch Harry. Dumbledore explained that his mother died to save him and if there’s one thing that Voldemort cannot understand, it is love. Voldemort didn’t realize that love as powerful as a mother’s can leave a mark…not a scar or visible sign. But a love so deep that even though the person who loved is gone, gives their protection forever, in the very skin of Harry Potter. Quirrell who was full of hatred, greed and ambition, sharing his soul with Voldemort could not touch him because of this reason. It was just agony to touch someone marked by something this good.

That particular passage touched me and made me cry because it suddenly reminded me of God’s love for me. In the same way Harry’s mother loved him so much that she died to save him, Jesus died to save me from my sins because He loved me. And though He did raise up from the dead and is alive today, He protects me from evil and only allow things that are beneficial to me to happen. He makes all things good for me if I love Him and obey Him. If the evil one wants to “touch me” he needs permission from God before he could do so. Isn’t that more amazing than a mother’s love!

I did a bit of reading on J.K.Rowling’s biography which kinda helped me understood life from her perspective. Her mother died at the age of 45 while still working on this book. She and her family was devastated. Desperate to get away for awhile, she went to Portugal and met and married a Portugese man. The marriage didn’t work out and she struggled as a single mother when she tried to finish writing the book.

Looking at her life, her mother was one of the important figures in her life and now that she herself is a single mother, it was understandable that in a way she projects herself as Harry Potter and his deep longing to know his mother and the love of a mother and a family. I felt that the book was more of a reflection of her life playing out “fantasies” with her sister and missing her mother rather than a book of witchcraft and wizardry.

So what do I think of Harry Potter books now? Well, to be honest, I have personally no problems reading those books. Plus they are highly entertaining, but of course children can be highly influenced and find it difficult to differentiate fact from fiction. But as long we guide them and keep level-headed, I believe books like this will not be able to shake our faith. After all, the last thing I expected was God to speak about His love to me through that book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why so downcast O my soul?

Recently I seem to be having a few upheavals in my personal relationships and also those around me. Don’t you get the feeling that sometimes months go by without something big happening and all of a sudden it all just comes pouring upon you? Is it me or it is absolutely no fault of mine. *blinks innocently* In the past few weeks, I seem to have upset one of the most patient and sweetest guy I know…though not intentionally. I’ve apologized and tried to make things better but he hasn’t been replying my messages nor picking up my calls. Zip. Nada. Nothing. I don’t know but lately I feel like whatever I say or do, people seems to be reacting negatively or things just blows up in my face. Then my brother did a very good job in making me feel like a failure by letting me know I am not making enough to help with the family finances. It’s bad enough that I am already frustrated with the fact that I do not have the resources to get a degree or get a place of my own… or even my own wheels. Now h

Abundant Life...Do you have it?

"E06? What's that?" I had people asking me this question when I told them I am going for a conference at SIB KL. I actually not sure what the "E" stands for so I actually asked Ps. Lee Choo and she said it stands for 'exist'...which has a long history behind it. That's another story.... I nearly didn't go because the people who were supposed to go, all pulled out and I was the only one confirmed going. I had some trouble with finding transport as well, but I felt that God wanted me to be there and He provided me with all my transport needs...God is so good! "So how was e06?" This was the second most asked question to me when I came back from the conference. So to save time...and breath I decided to answer all these questions refering them to my blog. Smart eh?!! Hehe...I am excited to share with everyone what I've learned at the conference so I 'm going to share about each session. I will try, I said TRY to keep it sh

Take the Lead...never follow

Can Antonio Banderas dance? I have seen "Shall We Dance" and Richard Gere can definitely sway. But I have yet to see Antonio Banderas, the actor who is famous for his macho, he-man roles, dance. Hmm...maybe he did in Evita, I forget. So this I gotta see. Listening to all my dance 'kaki' rave about the movie and how it made them want to get up and dance along in the cinema, sure whetted my appetite. But then, even if they didn't say anything, I would have not missed it. Based on a true story of how a dance teacher wanted to teach a bunch of street kids that nobody thought they had any future, how to dance. Oh, these kids can dance but ballroom dancing? And in the end, he didn't just teach them about ballroom dancing, but about life. To teach them to believe in themselves. That if they want to achieve something, they had to work at it and not blame your circumstances for pulling you down. To teach the guys how to treat a lady with respect cos beating